Thursday, November 8, 2012

I Can't Find the Title....

I'm not sure that this post fits in with the blog title; but I feel like writing, and I know this post will not fit in with my other blog.

I want to write, but am unsure of the words to put down.  I have felt this way since this morning when I heard the news about the passing of one of my high school classmates, Chris Doyle.

With the Class of '96 having been thrust into the "real world" over sixteen years ago, many lost touch.  It is primarily through social networking sites that I have rekindled, or simply kept up with, old relationships and friends.  I wasn't able to attend our 10 year reunion.  I could not get the time off work.  I knew that I would be able to make the time for our 15th or 20th reunion, and I knew that I would get to see everyone.  How mistaken I was.  And that was the very first thought that hit me like a brick to the face when I saw the news on facebook this morning while at work.

My knees went weak, and after the initial shock, I had to ask why?  Why did this happen?  I knew he had recently rekindled a relationship of his own, and brought in a new baby boy as the baby brother to his little girl.  It is plain to see in the shots of him and his family how much of a loving father he was, and a happy, devoted husband he was to his wife.  I have never met them, but my heart aches for them in the worst way.

I continued to ask myself why.  Why?  I think a lot of us that knew him are asking that, or have asked that question today.  I think we'll continue to ask it into the future.

With such a slap to the face, a rush of memories came along, too.  Playing basketball together in PE...  Sitting together in the back of the band room with Joe and Josh, cutting up, because, let's face it, that is what you do in middle school band.  Entering high school and walking in the door as freshmen, and walking out the door as seniors knowing that we have all the knowledge and tools necessary to take over the world.

We're in our mid-thirties now (really?  MID-thirties??), and I know that the last thing on my mind is looking at death's door.  One thing was made painfully obvious to me this morning.  It doesn't matter whether it is or not.  It is not up to us.

I know that I will not see Chris at the next reunion, and that saddens me.  It saddens me a lot.  What I will have to keep in mind is that we will see one another again.  I do not know when that time will be, only because I know that it is not up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment