Sunday, October 7, 2012

It Started With No Title, So I'll Keep It That Way

I haven't titled this post prior to starting it, because I do not know where it will go.  Sometimes, I just feel like writing with no real point to be made.  There is something theraputic about feeling the fingers move over the keyboard, pressing keys one after the other as the words just pop into my head.  And sometimes it's better to write, just so the words have somewhere to go, other than round and round my brain. 

I wrote a post the other day and said something to the effect of our purpose is to live.  Something like that anyway.  I've been at work this weekend, and it's been pretty slow here so I've had plenty of time to think.  And if you know me, when I have time to think, that's usually what I'm going to do.  And I've had a thought...just came to me before I started this paragraph.  Honestly.  That's what happens when the thoughts go around and around...like the prize wheel, no one knows where they will stop, or what the prize will be.

Here is my thought.  Not only are we here to live, but we're here to love, too.  There is nothing, and I mean nothing, on this earth as powerful as the emotion and feelings that come with love.  The presence of it can be all one needs to keep themselves going, and it can crash down the world of another at the very same time.  With only a look, a twitch of the eyebrow, an exhale of breath, a turn of the corner of the mouth...if the recipient of such seemingly miniscule actions knows of the love that is behind them, then they can make or break a thought or a full day in the blink of an eye. 

Such an amazing thing that love is.  Even with the pain that love can bring, there is something positive that can be taken from it.  A new starting place.  A new beginning.  With love comes empathy and with empathy comes introspection.  I don't do this enough, I don't think.  It usually takes me being called out for doing something or saying something stupid to realize that time has come.  And when I do, it doesn't take long to see the error of my ways.  No other emotion turns the mirror on oneself the way love does. 

Anger and hate are blinding from the truth.  They prevent the ability for someone to take a look at themselves.  Not only that, but it takes your personal struggles and makes them someone else's.  Is that right?  Forget I asked that.  Stupid question.  We all know what the answer is. 

Happiness is one sided, and only takes part in half of the spirit of live we have.  There is always going to be good and bad.  The flip side for happiness is sadness.  Without one, we cannot appreciate the other. 

Love is all encompassing.  It covers the four corners of life, whatever those may be to whomever may be reading this.  It ushers in a whole range of other feelings, thoughts and emotions...hope, happiness, sadness, frustration, anger, appreciation, sullenness, the whole bit. 

Think about it.  The one, or ones, you love do a better job of bringing out all of those emotions better than anyone or anything on earth.  There is nothing that can make a person happier, or sadder, or more frustrated, or down right angry than love.  That is how big it is.  That is how strong it is, and it is because it has this ability that it can overcome anything. 

It doesn't take much to make love flip the switch, but when it does, if you don't like what love is bringing out, the switch can just as easily be flipped back.  It just takes looking at oneself.  What sucks about that is that single thing is the hardest thing for a lot of us to do.

I'm no authority on love, just that I know what it makes me feel.  Although, I'd say the feelings are pretty common and universal, but that's just me.  There are enough books, poetry and other literature written about love, they could fill library upon library, and do.  This is just a snippet of a much larger idea, what I think is the most important idea.

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment